French president François Hollande announced live on television tonight that he will not be running for re-election next spring, The Local reports.
There’s a list for everything. Here’s one of top Brexit figures I found in a Guardian article by Dan Roberts:
- Theresa May, British prime minister.
- Angela Merkel, German chancellor.
- Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish first minister.
- Michel Barnier, chief Brexit negotiator for the European Commission.
- Donald Tusk, European Council president.
- François Hollande, French president.
- Philip Hammond, British chancellor.
- David Davis, British Brexit secretary.
- Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission.
- Guy Verhofstadt, MEP and lead rapporteur on Brexit for the European Parliament.
The one person I’m surprised by in this list is Nicola Sturgeon. Brexit has really made her the face of a confident Scotland. I wouldn't be surprised if she were to succeed in quitting the United Kingdom and re-entering the European Union.